This vegan apricot cake is an awesome summer highlight and a sweet treat family and friends will love. I mean, just look at the color! And the taste is such a good mixture between sweetness and the natural acid of the fruits. The apricot cake comes along with marzipan and coconut flakes, but you can skip the marzipan if you are not a fan of this delish almond paste. It is also possible to replace the shredded coconut in the dough as well as the coconut flakes for the topic with ground almonds and almond flakes. Just as you like. Are you also such a huge fan of apricots and peaches? Great! So grab a springform pan and let’s start. Looking forward to your feedback. All the best, Lea
Ingredients (for one cake/ serves 8)
- 30 g (1 oz/3-4 tbsp) ground flax seeds (+4 tbsp. water = egg replacer)
- 250 g (2 cups) (spelt) flour
- 40 g (1/4 cup) shredded coconut (can be replaced by ground almonds or hazelnuts)
- 100 g (1/2 cup) cane sugar
- 1 tsp. ground vanilla (or a pinch of ground tonka bean or 2 tsp. vanilla extract)
- 70 g (2.4 oz) raw marzipan + 30 g (1.05 oz) for the topping (vegan without honey)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda (or more baking powder)
- 2 tbsp. apple vinegar
- 250 ml (1 cup) plantbased milk (e.g. almond milk or oats milk)
- 50 ml (1/4 cup) liquid coconut oil
- 1-2 apricots for the base (150 g/5.2 oz) + 3-4 apricots for the cake topping (300-350g /10.5-12.3 oz)
- 25-30 g/1-2 handful coconut flakes (can be replaced by almond flakes)
Tip: If you don’t have or don’t want to use marzipan, you can simply skip it without replacement. However, the cake with some marzipan tastes particularly good.
Besides: A springform pan with 25 cm/9.8 inch diameter.
Instructions (15-20 minutes preparation + 40-45 minutes baking time)
- Mix ground flax seeds with 4 tbsp water and let ist sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (356 °F) fan. Cover the bottom of your springform pan with a baking sheet, close the pan and trim it a bit on the outside. Grease the pan with a bit of coconut oil.
- Sieve the flour into a mixing bowl. Mix in the shredded coconut, cane sugar and 1 tsp. ground vanilla (or 2 tsp. vanilla essence). Finely crumble the raw marzipan with your fingers and mix in. Add 1 tsp. baking powder and 1 tsp.baking soda and drizzle with 2 tbsp. of apple vinegar. Then add the the soaked flax seeds, plantbased milk and the coconut oil. Stir dough until smooth.
- Wash 1-2 apricots, remove the stone, dice and fold into the dough. Pour the dough into the prepared springform pan and spread evenly with a spoon.
- Wash 3-4 more apricots, remove stones and cut into slices. Spread the apricot slices over the cake. Finely crumble marzipan with your fingers and spread over the apricot slices and in between. Finally spread coconut flakes over the cake.
- Bake the cake at 180°C (356°F) fan for about 40-45 minutes. Cover the cake with a sheet of baking paper so that the coconut flakes do not burn. This is really important, otherwise the coconut flakes will get dark!
- Allow the cake to cool a bit (15-20 minutes) and separate from the edge of the springform pan with a sharp knife. Open the springform pan and enjoy this super delicious, colorful cake.