Wohoo, temperatures in Berlin hit 86 °F for the first time this year. Summer has finally arrived in Germany’s capital and I love it. Sunshine and summer rain alternate right now and I am just as happy about the rain as I am about the steaming warmth afterwards. I even adore summer so much as the winter here is especially dark, cold and grey (and feels like never ending – “Winter is coming” was surely inspired by a Berlin winter experience). Now all people are drawn outside into the parks, onto the street and hang around in Berlin’s street cafés. At such temperatures I like to eat something light, refreshing. So, today I have a particularly delicious idea for you: A quickly made rice noodle bowl with tofu, lots of crunchy vegetables, peaches and a delicious miso dressing. The combination is simply perfect and I can’t get enough of the dressing. Or as my father used to say to me: “Child, do you have enough salad in your dressing? (laughs). As always, you can adjust the ingredients according to your preferences and your stocks. Important is and remains: don’t stint on the dressing! I send you cheerful summer greetings and I’m already looking forward to your comments and recipe photos – here, on Facebook or Instagram. xoxoxo Your Lea
Ingredients (serves 2)
Basic ingredients (you can vary many to your taste and stocks)
- 200 g (7 oz) firm tofu
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 0.5-1 tbsp Mirin (optional, but recommended)
- Sea slat
- 2 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
- 150 g (5.29 oz) rice noodles
- 2 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 100 g (3.5 oz) red cabbage (or chinese cabbage or just some more salad to your liking)
- 1-2 small carrots
- 100 g (3.5 oz) cucumber
- Salad as you like
- 1-2 peaches (or nectarines)
- 1 avocado
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- A handful fresh cilantro
For the dressing
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1 tbsp. miso paste
- 2 tbsp. almond butter
- 1 tsp. soy sauce
- 2-3 tbsp. lemon or lime juice
- 2-3 tbsp. unsweetened soy or coconut yoghurt
Instructions (20 minutes)
- Remove tofu from packaging and press dry with a kitchen towel or kitchen paper. Cut tofu into cubes or stripes.
- Heat 1 tbsp. sesame oil + 0.5-1 tbsp. Mirin (optional) in a wok and fry the tofu pieces golden from all sides. Add 2 tsp. toasted sesame seeds and lightly salt. Set aside for the bowl.
- Heat water (in a kettle) and pour over the rice noodles in a bowl. Cover the bowl with a lid or plate and let the noodles soak for 4-5 minutes. Then drain off the water and mix the rice noodles with 1 tbsp. sesame oil and 2 tbsp. rice vinegar.
- Wash red cabbage and chop or grate finely. Wash the carrots and grate them with a spiral slicer* or a julienne slicer* (Amazon affiliate links). Wash peaches, remove stones and cut into slices. Cut the cucumber into strips. Wash and chop two handful salad. Halve an avocado, pit and cut it into slices it and sprinkle with 1 tbsp. lemon juice and salt lightly.
- Place rice noodles, fried tofu, avocado and vegetables in a bowl.
- Blend all the ingredients for the dressing in a mixer and drizzle over the ingredients. Lightly salt the bowls again and serve garnished with chopped cilantro. Enjoy